The 2018 Crossfit Open is coming up and with this come new challenges. Especially when you find out the night before you do the workout, what the wod is and can’t do one of the movements! A lot of us have been there… finding out there are muscle ups, double unders or handstand push ups in the workout! Well believe it or not the open comes with a touch of magic, the suspense, the nerves, and the angst all have their benefits! In 2015 handstand push ups came up for the first time in the open and I remember witnessing several members achieving their first HSPU. What can I say; it was incredible to watch.
What it all comes down to is to enjoy the Open, have fun and you might surprise yourself and find yourself pumping out your first handstand push up!
Here are a few tips regarding hand position of the HSPU:
- Place hands 6-12 inches away from the wall
- Have hands slightly wider than shoulder width apart
- Ensure fingers are facing forward
- You must be able to see your fingers in the bottom position (see video to compare a bad hspu set up position and a good hspu position)
- Try to keep elbows at a 45* angle as you lower yourself down
Have a practice 😊